Friday, April 18, 2008

The Story of 2 Men

I know of 2 men who told the Lord , " Lord I want to and will follow you".

The first one went along his way like a soldier trying his best to discipline himself, avoiding as many traps as he can... he spends time with God, always looking at tasks and possible flaws in himself. Asking God to forgive him for every little thing he does..

The second man comes to God and say "I can't but i am willing.. help me Lord... i will try my best but i dont believe in my own strength or self-discipline." He then went about each day abandoning himself to God and live freely in God's love. He comes to God everyday knowing him and His forgiveness and focus on God's love and grace for him.

Both love God... both follow God... both spent time with God. But 2 different perspective and 2 different results.

The First man always failed and never really enjoyed much freedom as he is always trying his best to keep God's law. He bites his teeth and think of more ways to discipline himself. God.. i will beat my body to follow you. I will put to death my sinful nature as said in Colossians 3:5. With my sheer determination and willpower... i will... i will.. I..... I.... I...

The second man stumbled too but "failed" and stumbled into God's love more and more. Slowly he learns to forget about his own needs and own flaws. He sees Jesus and live by imitating Him. He sees Jesus loving and valuing him more than anything else. He cant wait to talk to Jesus everyday.
God began to flow into His life and fulfill His word through this man as he focus on God and rest in Him daily. In Hebrews 10: 16 God says that He Will make a covenant with us... He will write His laws in our minds and in our hearts... He will remember our sins no more." He Will ... he Will... he will..

Which man do you think is really living a christian life? The one focusing on himself or the second one focusing on God. Who is happier? Who is the one radiating God's freedom? if we will rest in the Lord's love and guidance, then He will.... work through us? Isnt it?

James 4: 7 says 1) "Submit to God...." then 2) "Resist the devil".

See fighting comes after we first learn to submit to God first. Not the other way round which is of the flesh..

Philippians 4: 13 says "I can do everything through " who? My own will? My own discipline? No! "Through God who will GIVE ME STRENGTH"

But U-jin... there must be a balance of both... Of course =) But where is the focus? Our mind cannot focus on 2 things at any one time... So choose =). You can focus on your own willpower and determination.... i will focus on Jesus. The Bible says to fixed our focus on Jesus whom our faith depends on from the start to the end. Heb 12: 2

But didnt verse 1 in Heb 12 says we are to run with perseverance? Yes .. =) of course dont compromise when you feel weak... but how do we perservere? If we do it by focusing on us being disciplined.... that where is that glory due for God?

We should persevere by focusing on God... Say ,"Lord Jesus... i love you and i want to follow you... Please help me and not let me fall away... I trust and rest in you right now... deliever me.. I need your love to satisfy me now"

I choose to be like the second man... When i look to God... God will do His part and carry me... Life is too hard trying to live it by the rules .. You will fail miserably.. Let's abandon ourselves to God today and enjoy life.. He will help us follow His word as our hearts are renewed with that desire to follow Him daily.

God Bless!

No comments: